Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sometimes you just need to use your instinct

        It is hard to cook on weekdays, with classes going from 5pm to 7:30.  That is prime dinner time you know?  Even living on campus, I generally meet up with classmates to discuss group projects, and therefore get home closer to 8!  No Time to cook.  I have been generating ideas that take little time, or eating leftovers on class days.        
        On Sunday night, I cooked "Steak and Shake" Chili.  Steak and Shake chili is my favorite!  My sister, Alicia, gave me a recipe she claimed was very good.  The secrete ingredients are coco powder and coke!  The chili didn't have time to cook and melt together for a long time :-(.  Overall the taste lacked in spice and the chili was very thick. 
       On Monday I made a lemony mustard pasta.  I had a recipe from a healthy cooking for 2 cookbook, which I followed to the letter. Yet my final product looked nothing like picture.  Nor did it taste as good as I thought it would.  This is where I think instinct plays a role,  I probably should have added a little less garlic, and a little more mustard.  I have leaned that lesson a lot recently.  Sometime, you have to just make a guess and hope for the best.  Especially in the kichen, it is okay to experiment.

       So on Tuesday I "whipped" up beer battered fish tacos after class.  The fish was so tasty with a little avocado salsa. YUMMY!  The only thing that was not so good was the store bought tortillas!  Can't wait to make that recipe again!

       Wednesday was a sandwich during my RA staff meting and some GEORGIA PEACH froyo with the staff after the meeting  (after all, it was my half birthday!).  Today, was some takeout from the University Union (the student meal plan) and Brownies at the Hall Council Executive meeting.  Do you see a theme here?
      The weekend is here, and the next chore is to get creative with the left overs I have in the fridge!  That, and maybe catch up on some homework and class readings!    

1 comment:

  1. OMG My Chili always turns out too runny! I didn't follow it to the T in the recipe but I never remember or write down what I change. I just kind of go with it until it seems like it will come out ok. If it isn't chili tasting enough you might try using chili beans instead of kidney beans. The Chili beans are pre-flavored goodness unlike the kidney beans!

    I will have to keep the garlic and mustard in mind when we try out that recipe!

    Oh those fish tacos look yummy! COME MAKE THEM FOR ME! Stephen and I didn't cook this week at all. We did make pork chops in the crock pot but I think they made me sick all week. :-(

    ReplyDelete